Thursday, December 16, 2010
Among the myriad side dishes for chapattis, the Kadaba is my favorite. It is easy to make and less time consuming and tasty too. I learnt it from a cousin and since I tried it recently thought of posting in the blog.
1 cup Moong dal
1 stick Cinnamon} powder all these three together
5 nos. Clove }
3 nos. Cardamom}
¼ cup Fried gram
3 tsp. Poppy seeds
4 nos Green chilli
2 pods Garlic
2 nos. Potatoes, large
2 nos. Tomatoes, 2 medium
1 no. Onion, big, finely chopped
¼ cup Coriander
¼ cup Coconut scrapings
¼ Turmeric powder
2 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Cooking oil
· Boil, peel potatoes, mash partly
· Grind green chillies, coconut, poppy seeds, fried grams, coriander, garlic and ginger into a smooth paste
· Cut the tomatoes into bits.
· Heat a fry pan, drop oil and sauté the powdered cinnamon-cardamom-clove mix. Add onion and sauté again till onion turns golden brown. Drop the moong dal, potato mash, tomato bits, turmeric powder and let the combine cook for 5 minutes adding 2 cups of water. Now add the masala grind from the second step. Stir well and let the contents simmer for another 5 minutes.
· Lastly, garnish with coriander.
Kadaba can be good side dish not only for chapattis but also for idli-dosas and pooris