Red Capsicum Chutney
I love Red Capsicum because of its bright and pleasing color, and it is chock a block full of anti-oxidants, Vitamin A and C.Mother Nature seems to paint vivid colors on those vegetables and fruits high in anti-oxidants. The Capsicum family is also supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties.While all these are in the back of my mind, I pick this vegetable in the market for its color and taste. This is an unusual chutney made of bell pepper and tomatoes, delicious and quick to prepare. And surprise, surprise, a variant of this Bell-pepper chutney called Ljutenica is a national relish of Bulgaria. The ingredients of Ljutenica include tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, black pepper, vegetable oil, sugar and salt.
- Red peppers 2 nos
- Tomato 3 nos
- Red chilli 5 nos
- Urad dal ¼ cup
- Asafoetida ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Tamarind paste 1 tsp
- Cooking oil 5 tsp
- Cut the red peppers and tomato into small bits. Microwave the peppers for 4 minutes.
- Heat a pan, pour oil, mustard seeds, red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida one by one.
- When Urad dal fries to light brown add the red pepper and tomato bits simmer for 10 minutes,stirring.
- Now add tamarind paste and salt and mix well. Remove the contents from stove and let it cool. Grind to a smooth paste.
- This chutney is very tasty and goes well with rice, chapathis and even idli-dosas.
- One can also add a couple of cloves of garlic for added taste